how networking happens in Hawaii

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Fri Apr 29 19:44:13 UTC 2022

I thought I'd put a smile on your faces for Friday.  This is how
networking happens in Hawaii...

https://www.civilbeat.org/2022/04/thousands-of-hawaiians-could-lose-phone-and-internet-service-amid-bankruptcy-dispute

"State regulators have opened an emergency investigation of Sandwich
Isles Communications..."

"The investigation comes as Sandwich Isles is apparently blocking access
to its telecom infrastructure to another provider, Hawaiian Telcom,
alleging trespass, filing police reports and putting customer phone and
internet service at risk."

"Sandwich Isles Communications is an Oahu-based telephone company
founded in 1995 with a mission to provide communication services to
Native Hawaiians living on homesteads"

"In 2015, founder Albert Hee was convicted of criminal tax fraud...Hee
was sentenced in 2016 to 46 months in prison."

"With federal backing, the company built the Paniolo Network, a web of
undersea and terrestrial fiber optic cables."

"...a bankruptcy trustee ordered the sale of the Paniolo Network to
Hawaiian Telcom."

"Hawaiian Telcom says Sandwich Isles has removed, destroyed or tampered
with Hawaiian Telcom locks on perimeter fences surrounding buildings
purchased by Hawaiian Telcom. And that Sandwich Isles has installed its
own locks and devices on buildings and premises owned by Hawaiian
Telcom, as well as welding shut access gates. The company also says
Sandwich Isles has made multiple false police reports alleging Hawaiian
Telcom is trespassing on its property."

"Al Hee was requesting that Hawaiian Telcom’s lock on its Paniolo
Building at Laiopua on the Big Island be replaced. Otherwise, Hee said
he would call the police."

"In a Sept. 11 letter to customers, Sandwich Isles blamed the situation
on Hawaiian Telcom."

When your brother is very connected politically I guess one feels
invincible...

"...welding shut access gates..."  hahaha!  Insanity!

There're other 'outages' that didn't make the article.  Repeated fiber
damaged off shore, etc.

scott