Central place to register usages of various IP space?

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Apr 29 13:26:33 UTC 2022

Hello,

I had a user complain to me this morning about something called "DoubleCounter" which I guess is a Discord bot that supposedly identifies who is a "real person" and who is a "bot" or a "vpn".

While some part of any commercial network could potentially be "cloud computing" and as such could be used for a VPN, other parts of the network obviously aren't and are eyeballs.

The thing that is basically always true is that no commercial network is mixing cloud computing and eye ball users in the same blocks of IP addresses. I guess where this might be a grey area is Windows VMs on Azure where yes they are both eyeballs and potentially VPN users.

So is there a central place where we're supposed to register what specific subnets are used for so that these services can pull from that?

It seems like every day a new one of these "verification" services pops up and having to deal with each one of them individually is becoming a challenge.

I know Google has a feature where you can just drop a txt file to influence their Geolocation which seems to work well.

Let me know if you are aware of anything like this?

-Drew