FCC to Consider New Rules to Combat International Scam Robocalls

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Apr 28 11:39:29 UTC 2022

On Wed, 27 Apr 2022, Sean Donelan wrote:

> I've noticed a few (small number) of robocalls have started spoofing
> international phone numbers instead of local phone numbers.  I don't know if

Are you sure this isn't just either a failure to spoof or incompetent
spoofing?

> https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-consider-new-rules-combat-international-scam-robocalls
> WASHINGTON, April 27, 2022
>
> [...]
> The new rules, if adopted at the FCC’s May 19 Open Meeting, would require
> gateway providers to participate in robocall mitigation, including blocking
> efforts, take responsibility for illegal robocall campaigns on their
> networks, cooperate with FCC enforcement efforts, and quickly respond to
> efforts to trace illegal robocalls to their source. Under the proposed Report
> and Order, non-compliance by a gateway provider would result in that provider
> being removed from the Robocall Mitigation Database and subject to mandatory
> blocking by other network participants, essentially ending its ability to
> operate. [...]

They're debating whether or not to close the screen door on the submarine
before submerging.

When I receive robo-calls, I have no means of tracing them to the
originating network or identifying the responsible party.  Best case, the
above would just move [more of the] robo-call origination off-shore to be
outside the FCC's enforcement authority.  Most likely, it will do nothing
because the telcos / VOIP providers profit from this activity and have no
incentive to cooperate with enforcement against each other.