Any sign of supply chain returning to normal?

Shane Ronan shane at ronan-online.com
Sat Apr 23 03:28:55 UTC 2022

Who are you buying servers from, because I'm going on a year waiting on
servers from HPE, and about 6 months on servers from Dell, although
that may have to do with the types of NICs I need.
I'm told HPE is holding back capacity for some of their large "Government"
contracts which have stiff performance penalties.

For the last year and a half, I have been working on fitting out a $20
Million dollar telco network lab (x86 and network gear), and while I work
for a VERY LARGE company, we can't even get escalations with the vendors.
In fact about 6 months ago, we were told that Juniper, Cisco and HPE all
stopped accepting VP level escalations, which can normally get you ahead of
the line.

Juniper has definitely been the worst in terms of delivery, I have
equipment from them which was ordered last March and has delivery dates as
far out as September.
I tried to order a pair of AC power supplies for a Nexus 9K last week and
was told delivery was quoted as 55 weeks, so maybe Cisco is no better.
About a month ago, I had a quote from Extreme Networks for a pair of 1G
switches, and before I could submit the order, they came back and raised
the price almost 20%, so it seems some vendors may be trying to reduce
demand by increasing prices.
And don't even try to order an ACC100 Accelerator card, many vendors have
simply stopped accepting orders.

It is definitely going to get worse before it gets better.

Shane