Any sign of supply chain returning to normal?

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sat Apr 23 00:24:02 UTC 2022

so i am chatting with the volvo mechanic this morning.  he said that 25
years ago volvo had essentially two engines, carb and fuel injection.
from the late '90s on, the variations grew; and the parts and tools one
needed exploded.

he started feeling supply chain issues early.  and now the number of
variations being designed is narrowing again.

i suspect that, in years of overabundant late stage capitalism, folk
went nuts.  and we are now paying for it.  one of my fave quotes

    I thought of it in a slightly different way--like a space that we
    were exploring and, in the early days, we figured out this
    consistent path through the space: IP, TCP, and so on.  What's been
    happening over the last few years is that the IETF is filling the
    rest of the space with every alternative approach, not necessarily
    any better.  Every possible alternative is now being written down.
    And it's not useful.  -- Jon Postel

randy