Copper Termination Blocks

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Apr 15 00:42:42 UTC 2022

On 4/14/22 2:05 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
> I know I'm discussing what some consider ancient technology. I counter
> that it meets or exceeds the needs of many, many people.

As people say, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it".  --  That being said,
I believe the third stanza is missing; "Optimize it."

> Currently, we use 100-pr Telect-style termination blocks. They don't
> offer much in terms of ease of use for testing and don't organize
> well on a 19" or 23" rack.

I always found the spades (?) of the 66 block to be convenient to clip a
test set (with an angled bed of nails) onto.  I've also used slip on
jack more than a few times, especially for testing.  E.g.

Link - 66 block to RJ-45
  - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3W7NL4

> I was recommended to look at Krone blocks. They look just great. Easy
> to break into for testing with their "look both ways" plug as well
> as their preterminated blocks looked much easier to rack-mount.

I've never run into Krone myself.

I found that using the two sides of a 66 block with bridge clips to be
convenient for testing.  Especially for building and / or floor entrance
points.  E.g. incoming network on the left side, outgoing station on the
right side, and bridge clips connecting the two.  Any time I need to
test, pull the bridge clips to split the circuit in a way that's equally
as easy to put back.

Sure, this technique burns more 66 block / wall space.  But I found it
to be worth while in some use cases, like building entry.

> Any recommendations for places to get old telco blocks, testers,
> mounts, etc.?
>
> Any recommendations for alternatives that are easier to source?

I look forward to learning from recommendations on this thread.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die