Ready to compromise? was RE: V6 still not supported

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Thu Apr 14 22:47:05 UTC 2022

Dear Pascal:

1)    I had a quick look at the below updated draft. I presume Figure 2
is intended to address my request. Since each IPv4 address has 4 bytes,
what are the 12 bytes allocated for IPv4 header fields (outer) and
(inner), each? Aren't they the standard first 12 bytes of packet
identifier in an IPv4 header? If so, why not show it straightforward as
defined by RFC791?

2) If my above assumption is correct, you are essentially prefixing the
packet identifying portion (inner) of an IPv4 header with another one
(the "outer"), without making use of the existing Options words like my
EzIP proposal. How could any existing routers handle a packet with this
new header format, without any design related upgrade? If you do expect
upgrade, it would appear to me as too much to ask. Am I missing something?

Regards,

Abe (2022-04-14 18:46)