Keep Ukraine Connected

Markus universe at truemetal.org
Thu Apr 14 22:35:34 UTC 2022

Hi NANOG,

for those wanting to help - please see below and
https://keepukraineconnected.org for an up-to-date list of needed equipment.

Also: "Our contacts in Ukraine are desperately seeking professional
grade fiber splicers. If you think you can help, either by donating
equipment or financing a splicer, we’d appreciate an email."

Forwarded with permission.

----- Forwarded message from Jan Zorz - Go6 <jan at go6.si> -----

Dear community,

Sorry for another rather long email, but there are more and more
requests from Ukraine operators coming in and we have no other way of
getting specific equipment other than ask you - the community!

Lately we got specific requests for fiber optics welding/splicing kits,
specially from Kharkiv region that is/was under brutal attacks and lots
of infrastructure is damaged. Let me copy/paste parts of messages that
keep coming in so you get the feeling what people that are trying to
keep the lights on in the fibers in Ukraine are dealing with:

"In Kharkiv we provide continuous network access to other Ukrainian
operators and providers. Our network suffers critical loads now because
of shelling, and our co-workers  repair it, sometimes, under the shots.
We lack necessary equipment and tools and are not able to order. There
is an urgent need for an optical fiber welding machine (as we have to
work in difficult conditions). The amount of work is growing, but the
maintenance is missing. We want to ask you, if it's possible, to give us
at least one machine fujikura or fitel. We'll be glad to receive even a
used one, the most important is it should work."

"I also wanted to ask - Do you have, maybe some power backup systems?
Also there are our partners in the city - internet provider, who have
de-energized nodes for 2-3 thousand active subscribers, in which there
is simply no electricity ..."

"is there any possibility to send some more of the same optical fiber
machines? and if it is possible two or three of the simplest optical
reflectometers."

We are getting more and more similar requests, so our question to
community would be if anyone has any new/used/spare FO welding/splicing
kit to donate to Ukraine friends to keep the Internet up&running and
people connected? Same goes for UPS systems...

We at GNA have secured one Fujikura 41S+ Fusion Splicer Kit with CT50
Cleaver - partially donated by one of their distributors, partially
covered by money donations to GNA "Keep Ukraine Connected" initiative
that many of you sent in last couple of weeks and we are very grateful
for!!!

First delivery of requested hardware to Ukraine is now being coordinated
with with our colleagues from the Ukrainian Association of Rights
Holders and Content Providers, the Ukrainian Internet Association (UAI)
and Ukraine Ministry of Digital Transformation and will take place next
week.

We would like to secure more fiber optics repair equipment and UPS
systems before next delivery, so please - if you are willing and can
help - contact us at ukraine at nogalliance.org for hardware donation or
donate some funds at below web page so we are able to purchase needed
equipment and send it to Ukraine with next delivery.

https://keepukraineconnected.org/

Thank you again, Jan Zorz
on behalf of GNA/KUC initiative