A way that ARIN can help encourage RPKI adoption

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Apr 13 08:37:33 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 12, 2022 at 10:34 PM Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
> On 4/12/22 9:56 PM, John Curran wrote:
> > Doug, we’re not contracting with these parties to provide any other services…i.e.  there’s nothing to "add a rider to”.
> > (Those who have any registration services agreement with ARIN already have access to all services incl. RPKI)
>
> Thank you for considering my suggestion. Perhaps I misunderstand the
> current state.
>
> I'm thinking of a scenario where a person holds legacy space, with no
> [L]RSA, but they do have a registered ASN through ARIN (for example). In
> that scenario are they eligible for RPKI for their legacy space?

Hi Doug,

There are multiple challenges here. In many cases, all number
resources held are legacy status so the registrant has no current
contracts with ARIN. In others, the resources are held under different
org handles where the org handle for the legacy resources is not
associated with any contract. In both cases, some of the legacy org
handles fail to meet current ARIN standards for legal existence,
precluding ARNI from directly forming a contract. ARIN would have to
form a contract for RPKI with an entity that is, in the strictest
technical sense, different from the entity which holds the addresses.
Or consent to change the legacy org to something that has the proper
legal existence without creating a contract, which ARIN has to date
been adamant that it won't do. Recall that before ARIN the name of the
organization was a single line on an email form copied uncritically
into the registry. The POC info was far more important.

Nothing here that ARIN couldn't overcome of course. But the web is a
little bit tangled.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--