2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT -

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Apr 6 00:38:02 UTC 2022

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022, Owen DeLong wrote:

>       On Apr 4, 2022, at 17:40 , John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>       On 4 Apr 2022, at 7:42 PM, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) <danm at prime.gushi.org> wrote:
>
>       Ironically, to find the way forward, ARIN would require incorporation, the signing of a RSA, and Moar Money for this same organization to have similar v6 blocks, in order to
>       eventually retire these v4 resources.
>

> Interesting – as ARIN’s fee schedule was designed specifically so that every IPv4 customer can get a corresponding-sized IPv6 block without any change in annual registry fees.
> (i.e. I’d be interested in hearing more; on- or off- list as you prefer)   If you mean that you’d need to pay the same amount of fees of everyone else whose received similar sized IPv6 blocks,
> then yes, I am afraid this is the case.
>

> Not exactly true… Any IPv4 customer with an LRSA does not have this
> option because you can’t put your v6 resources on your LRSA and if you
> have two accounts (whether you created a second account or whether ARIN
> split your accounts without some much as asking you if that was
> desired), they get charged each and no possibility for the fee
> calculation you describe exists.
>
> As such, your claim here, especially in the context of a discussion of
> legacy resources is a bit disingenuous and we’ve discussed it enough
> times that you cannot claim to be unaware of this fact.

[apologies if I messed up the threading.  I blame alpine].

Just as a point of clarification, yes, this is what I meant.  Right now
this user is paying $0 in fees for two of the minimum-routable block (2x
non-contiguous /24).  They cannot get any ipv6 for $0.  Luckily, I have
v6, so it's a non-issue.  Also, one of the machine's they're running is a
SCO machine so...non-starter there :).

But say they sign an LRSA: Those $0 fees would go up to 150, this year,
175 next year, 200 the following...250 in year five... to be able to
simply add DNSSEC, RPKI, and Validated IRR.  $25 a year does not seem like
a lot, but for a "hobbyist block" it adds on quickly.

[If the fee for my amateur radio license worked that way, I would not have
taken the initiative, and I see exploration of these two things as very
similar: a somewhat lost-art with the spectrum being quickly demanded and
reclaimed for corporate use, and a thing one can only learn by
experience.]

To add corresponding ipv6 (say, two /48s), it would go to 3x-small for the
v6 blocks in a normal RSA, plus the above (capped but increasing) costs
for the LRSA.

At that point, if I'm reading correctly, you're paying as much in the
fifth year as you would be for 2x-small, with a normal RSA, with it still
climbing $25 a year.  You effectively have side-stepped any use that the
fee cap offers you, and it becomes a liability rather than a benefit.

-Dan

Ref: https://www.arin.net/resources/fees/fee_schedule/