V6 still not supported

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Tue Apr 5 13:32:11 UTC 2022

Jared Brown wrote:
> JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:
>> If I'm a gamer, and one of my possible ISPs is using CGN, and from time to time stops working, and another ISP is providing me a public and/or static IPv4 address, always working, and there is not too much price difference, what I will do?
> Changing providers only works in a competitive market, but even there a little bit of market segmentation isn't necessarily a bad thing.
>
> The main thing is that ISPs should not be so accommodating to these malfeasants, who via their practices make a bad situation worse. Sony et al. are externalizing costs and that shouldn't be accepted.
>

> - Jared

Like most things of this nature, there is a tipping point. Where exactly
it is, either individually or communally, and whether it is ever reached
is typically only viewable via hindsight.

Service providers tend to be on  the "make it work" side of things,
whether due to historical reasons or their users expectations or the
nature of any technology centered business. Usually its more efficient
and even cost effective to just fix it if you can. And yes, that is a
self-reinforcing cycle.

But everything has its limits.

Increasing NAT, IPv4 re-use, IPv6 is likely to push the point away from
Network-Address-as-Customer-Identity from being the service provider's
responsibility.

Joe