Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported re: 202203261833.AYC

Dave Bell me at geordish.org
Tue Apr 5 11:03:12 UTC 2022

Hi Pascal,

>From what I'm reading, it seems like you're implying that the bulk of the
ISP network does not need to change to implement this new IP protocol. If
that is the case, then you are incorrect.

Without the router that the customer connects to being aware of this new
protocol, then you are opening yourself up to address forgery on a massive
scale. The ISPs next hop needs to be able to inspect both the regular
source address, and the encapsulated source address to ensure that the
customer is sending legitimate traffic (uRPF). In my world the BNG is the
most complicated part of the network.

The CPE I'm sending out to my customers now presumably needs its NAT
implementation altering? It now does translation on the inner IP header
rather than the regular what is now outer.

So to summarize, to implement this I need to do the following:
* Install some CG-NAT device (You can argue its not CG-NAT because its
stateless - It will have a lot of traffic going through it, so its carrier
grade, and its translating from one type of IP to another, so its network
address translation.)
* Upgrade my BNGs to cope with the new address format for uRPF purposes
* Upgrade/replace all my CPE
* Have the network stack on my customers OS upgraded

Not to mention all the testing required to ensure that it all will work
smoothly.

That is a lot of work, and I still don't see the benefit over just moving
to IPv6.

Regards,
Dave