Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported re: 202203261833.AYC

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) pthubert at cisco.com
Tue Apr 5 09:30:02 UTC 2022

Hello Dave:

The problem we have not solved is with the (host, gateway, ISP network) that will not move; and I’m hearing in this list that there’s one big reason: because the step (the leap really) is too wide. And I also read a consensus that dual stack and large NATs are not the long term solution people want.

The primary goal here is to avoid  dual stack forever, and not having enormous CG-NATs either. The proposal is to replace the leap that few can achieve by a series of baby steps that most can, and will to a point.

To your example: say that you’re willing to migrate your host stack to IPv6-only. But then your ISP or your home gateway does not have it. Stuck. If you form a YATT address, the stateless translation will discover that there’s no v6 and turn the YATT packet into YADA. With that you can talk to any YADA and YATT node in the universe, though you can neither reach all IPv6 nodes nor all IPv4 nodes. That’s where the baby steps land.

The motivation to go YADA from IPv4 (as opposed to IPv6 altogether) is feasibility. With YADA, the change is smaller in the upper stack and the applications. Say you have VMs that are IPv4 only, that you do not control the stack at all but just the hosting system. The hosting system can serve as/intercept DNS, NAT the YADA double-A destination to a single-A with an address from the pool, leaving the VM stack unchanged. An upgraded home gateway could do that too for the whole private network.

YADA and YATT are equivalent, they are the IPv4 and IPv6 formulations of the same thing; what goes on the wire is whatever matches what the ISP network offers. Each AS or realm can decide to be one version only. The stateless NAT at the border can be wire speed, there’s state nor no complexity involved in that translation.

When you’re already IPv6 you need none of that. IPv6 is the sphere than encompasses all the planes (realms) and the shaft. Plus all the air in between. But the IPv6 host could be so nice as to support YATT, which effectively is an effort on its part, but gives it a /64 for free, automatically. That’s a bonus that could become handy.

Keep safe;

Pascal