[nanog] Re: [nanog] 2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT -

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Apr 5 04:21:23 UTC 2022

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022, John Curran wrote:

> On 4 Apr 2022, at 9:52 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
>> I guess this legacy IP space, which is probably visible in ARIN's whois DB, but for which they provide no additional services unless you sign a LRSA and are then on the hook for annual membership fees?
>

> ARIN has provided decades of service to legacy resource holders without any fee or contract… when ARIN was formed in 1997, the ARIN Board made the decision to provide free registry services to those organizations already holding number resources and not require any contract or fee with the new ARIN organization.  It was also decided to continue this benefit even if the organization was acquired or merged with another – their legal successor after merger/acquisition continues to receive those same registry services from ARIN for their legacy number resources without fee or contract.
>
> The basic registry services provided to legacy resource holders are similar to those in place at ARIN’s formation (i.e. at the time of the US government approved the transfer of the registry to ARIN -  <https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=102819), and include Whois publication (incl. now RDAP), reverse DNS service, record updates, etc.  Legacy resource holders also get the benefit of online resource management via ARIN Online, use of the ARIN Registration Services Helpdesk, and other support services whose costs are recovered solely by the fees paid by the ARIN membership.

John (C), just out of curiosity, is there a good count of how many of
these resources exist (i.e. legacy resources without an LRSA?).  If you
can easily say an aggregate number I'm curious.

Is there a count of how many of these are present in the DFZ, or that are
being announced by larger netblocks, or which do not show in the BGP table
at all?

Given, this is a list of potentially-hijackable address blocks, so I don't
know that such a thing should be posted publicly, but I could see research
being done with the full set under a confidentiality agreement.  (If such
a thing has been done, please point me at it).

This feels like an interesting research presentation/lightning
talk/something to me, relevant in the world where we're talking about
declawing third party registries.

-Dan