2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT - Approximately 40 hours until potentially significant routing changes (re: Retirement of ARIN Non-Authenticated IRR scheduled for 4 April 2022)

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 02:21:16 UTC 2022

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 5:06 PM Kenneth Finnegan
<kennethfinnegan2007 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Howdy All,
>
> While I agree that it might be politically entertaining to let this
> one blow up as a demonstration of how ARIN conducts business, this
> list of networks includes too many small networks who likely don't
> have a savy networking engineering team.
>
> In my opinion, they are not acceptable collateral damage to
> demonstrate ARIN's lack of regard for the community in shutting this
> down without a transition plan for the RPSL objects, so as one of the
> admins for the ALTDB IRR database, I've taken it upon myself to create
> proxy registrations for all of these prefixes in ALTDB.

While I won't discuss the issue of proxy registrations, the key here
is the responsiveness in removing such proxy registrations if/when
asked to do so.

> Like any proxy registration, asset owners are welcome to contact the
> maint POC, and if no response from them, db-admin at altdb.net,
> requesting that stale records be deleted, but please also note that

If you as the maint POC is willing to commit to responsiveness in
doing that, great.

> ALTDB automatically deletes any route objects which conflict with a
> publishes RPKI ROA, so the most effective way to clean up stale IRR
> records is to publish RPKI ROAs for your address space.

Which only would clear up proxy regs with wrong origin AS, not with
right origin AS but wrong maintainer.

Rubens