[nanog] Re: 2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT - Approximately 40

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Apr 5 01:52:33 UTC 2022

On Mon, 4 Apr 2022, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:

> As one datapoint, two tiny /24's I (not-dayjob) originate are legacy
> resources.  They cannot be added to either RPKI or the ARIN IRR objects
> without endeavoring to spend an
> at-least-this-much-money-price-will-only-go-up-over-time amount.
>
> Ironically, to find the way forward, ARIN would require incorporation, the
> signing of a RSA, and Moar Money for this same organization to have similar
> v6 blocks, in order to eventually retire these v4 resources.

I guess this legacy IP space, which is probably visible in ARIN's whois
DB, but for which they provide no additional services unless you sign a
LRSA and are then on the hook for annual membership fees?

I don't have any of that space (I do "have" a pre-ARIN ASN which I'm
unsure what I can do with :) so I don't have firsthand knowledge of the
issues.

I wonder how Tata deals with that...or how they will after August 2023?