[nanog] Re: 2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT - Approximately 40

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Mon Apr 4 23:42:25 UTC 2022

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:

> I think all of us recognize a need to declaw "third party" IRR databases
> like RADB and ALTDB ("declawing" meaning that it is not desirable that
> anyone can just register *anything*); on the other hand our community
> also has to be cognizant about there being parts of the Internet which
> are not squatting on anyone's numbers *and* also are not contracted to a
> specific RIR.

As one datapoint, two tiny /24's I (not-dayjob) originate are legacy
resources.  They cannot be added to either RPKI or the ARIN IRR objects
without endeavoring to spend an
at-least-this-much-money-price-will-only-go-up-over-time amount.

Ironically, to find the way forward, ARIN would require incorporation, the
signing of a RSA, and Moar Money for this same organization to have
similar v6 blocks, in order to eventually retire these v4 resources.

IRRExplorer presently flags these with a warning "expected object in ARIN
db" because there's no programmatic way (via either WHOIS or IRR) to
detect a legacy resource that I can find.

This is an edge case which will only diminish over time, but it does
exist.

-Dan