2749 routes AT RISK - Re: TIMELY/IMPORTANT - Approximately 40 hours until potentially significant routing changes (re: Retirement of ARIN Non-Authenticated IRR scheduled for 4 April 2022)

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Apr 4 22:35:31 UTC 2022

On Tue, 5 Apr 2022, Job Snijders wrote:

>> Are others jumping ship or planning to from ALTDB (no offense intended, and
>> grateful for the service you've provided) and other non-auth IRRs like RADB
>> due to networks like Tata announcing that they won't honor route objects
>> created in non-authoratative IRR DBs after late last year and plan to ignore
>> them entirely by late next year?  i.e.
>>
>> From: https://lg.as6453.net/doc/cust-routing-policy.html
>>
>>   Special note, deprecation of non-authoritative registries
>>
>>   Please note that 'route' and 'route6' objects created after 2021-Aug-15
>>   in non-authoritative registries like RADB, NTTCOM, ALTDB and others
>>   will not work. Objects created before that date will continue to work till
>>   2023-Aug-15. It is recommended to create RPKI ROA objects instead. In
>>   rare cases if that's not possible, 'route' and 'route6' must be created
>>   in the authoritative registry - AfriNIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, RIPE, RIPE,
>>   NIC.br or IDNIC.
>
> I very much appreciate Tata's efforts to strive to only use authoritive
> data when making BGP routing decisions; however the scope of their
> charter is of course confined to just Tata's own operations. Tata's
> routing policies affect only Tata's customer cone.

I'm (well, work is) a Tata customer.  So their policy wrt which IRR's
they'll honor objects in matters to me, and going forward, it makes no
sense for us to create new objects in ALTDB or RADB...and those proxy
registrations Kenneth created in ALTDB, if any of those networks are
originated by Tata customers, I presume the new ALTDB objects won't cause
Tata prefix-list filters to include those routes.

I just wonder if Tata is alone leading the charge to deprecate non-auth
IRRs, or if there are other notable networks with similar policies?