V6 still not supported

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Mon Apr 4 18:04:04 UTC 2022

On 4/4/22 8:00 AM, Tom Beecher wrote:

> ( Of course, the better solution is really on the service end to have
> a better system to associate bad activity to specific users, or other
> methods that aren't reliant on reputation services , but that won't
> happen unless they start seeing revenue loss from people who want to
> pay them for a service but can't because of too much reputation
> blocking, and I think that's a long way away, if it ever gets there.)

This is the actual solution. It was always a terrible hack to rely on IP
addresses as an identifier and that's especially true for gaming
consoles where they can use some pre-built identifier burned into the
box. With browser fingerprinting it would be silly to incorporate IP
addresses into the mix as DHCP from providers changes up the IP address
reducing its fidelity.

This is clearly a Sony et al problem. Providers should point the finger
at them to make them fix it.

Mike, not that I think cgnat isn't a gross hack