V4 via V6 and IGP routing protocols

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 13:10:29 UTC 2022

On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 5:16 AM Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:

> On 4/4/22 03:06, Dave Taht wrote:
>
> > I'm actually not here to start a debate... happy to learn that the v4
> > over v6 feature I'm
> > playing with actually exists in another protocol, mainly. I'm
> > critically dependent on
> > source specific routing, also, so I am hoping there's an isis or ospf
> > that can do
> > what I need, or now that I have more routers with enough memory, switch back
> > to an ibgp.
>
> Are MPLS or SR too heavy a bat?

MPLS was not an option at the time. It might become one. Don't know
diddly about the current state of SR.

What happened in the mesh wifi market circa 2015 is that eero
perfected a superset of (layer 2) 802.11s that scaled well enough (3
hops max) to create a market. the eero 5 was great, the 6 a step
backwards, I'm rather impressed by their new 6E product... on paper.

It was bridging ethernet multicast to wifi multicast that was a real
killer to performance then. Various solutions have appeared to lighten
that load, arp proxying (don't know about ND), and a version of mdns
that can upgrade to unicast, and fq_codel for wifi is out there on a
lot of products now, like the ath9k, ath10k, pretty much all of intel
and mediateks chips, iOS and OSX.

Trying to revisit a few assumptions as to where the real problems are now.

> > yes, and for smaller networks that are interconnecting, bgp can be
> > too heavyweight also.
>
> I know tons of small networks using Mikrotik to run their BGP backbone.
> Seems to work :-).

BGP may end up what I switch to, but I note I have other requirements
than just a robust routing protocol.

middlebox fq_codel solutions like preseem's are now pretty common in
that market, but the rightest answer was to move good queue management
to every fast->slow transition as close to the hw as possible
(rfc7567).

Mikrotik only recently added fq_codel and cake support. There's some
marvelous pictures of how well that's working if you login here:

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?t=179307#p885613

Regrettably their IPv6 support was broken entirely when I last checked
a month or two back, I don't think they have the fq_codel native for
wifi code operational either. Now that ISP rates are so much better
than before, WiFi has become the bloated bottleneck for many. There's
a real cliff for range, I was recently at a large apartment building
where the usable range was under 8 feet due to all the APs competing.
Sells more APs though...

One of my holy grails from a working combination of fq_codel for
wifi/ethernet meshes and a good routing protocol was a workable RTT,
as opposed to loss based, metric. I was kind of agnostic as to the
underlying routing protocol, but I really wanted it to fit in memory
and scale well past 3 hops.  Since then I mostly gave up on homenet's
ideas, am revisiting older ones (like ospf and RPL) to see what
progress was made there.

It's a little OT for nanog, aside from a goal being better e2e
connectivity and simplicity. I'll take another look at the current
state of ospfv3, isis, and mpls.

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC