is it still nfsen?

John Kristoff jtk at dataplane.org
Mon Apr 4 12:30:52 UTC 2022

On Sun, 03 Apr 2022 19:10:18 -0700
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> i am setting up new app/port monitoring.  i like nfsen because i can
> zooom in and see who is sending all that port 43 tls between 11:42 and
> 12:19.  is there some other tool at which i should look?

If you are using nfcapd/nfdump I think that is your only choice.  I
weakly tried to get a hack-a-thon together one year to implement a more
modern version of it a few years ago, but I couldn't garner enough
interest from those who wanted to code it.  There was user interest
however.

Even per P. Haag, nfsen was a quick hack, but in my view was quite a
good one considering.  I wouldn't give public access to the interface,
but the last time I setup some flows capture and monitoring, about 5
years ago, I used it.  It was good enough.  If it is just for you and
you're OK with it, I think it is still fine.

pmacct would probably the tool I'd use if I wanted something different
now.

John