V6 still not supported

Jared Brown nanog-isp at mail.com
Mon Apr 4 10:01:43 UTC 2022

> >> ISPs are facing ever growing costs to continue providing IPv4 services.
> >  Could you please be more specific about which costs you are referring to?
>
> Costs of address acquisition
> Costs of CGNAT systems in lieu of address acquisition costs
> Costs of increasing support calls due to IPv4 life support measures in other networks.
> etc.
>
> >  It's not like IP transit providers care if they deliver IPv4 or IPv6 bits to you.
>
> True, but adding customers requires additional addresses at some point. IPv6 addresses are cheap compared to IPv4 addresses.
  As an aside, all this demonstrates quite well one of the impediments to accelerated IPv6 adoption:

  None of these costs apply to parties not growing or ones that are only growing withing their existing IPv4 allocation.

  The status quo does not promote IPv6 adoption, which is obviously a problem since transitioning to IPv6-only requires all parties to be aboard.

  I'll even add that there is a perverse incentive for ISPs and others to delay IPv6 adoption in certain segments. As there is a scarcity of IPv4, ISPs can charge a premium for access to IPv4 addresses, something you cannot do with IPv6. Furthermore as IPv4 blocks are acting like an appreciating asset, there is both an incentive to acquire more, regardless of need, and to hoard what you have, even if you don't need it. For cloud providers your IPv4 blocks become your moat.

- Jared