Gmail (thus Nanog) rejecting ipv6 email

Andy Ringsmuth andy at andyring.com
Mon Apr 4 00:44:59 UTC 2022

> On Apr 3, 2022, at 1:40 PM, nanog at shankland.org wrote:
>
>> It appears that Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> said:
>>> Google has been trying to move away from Internet email for many years
>>> now.  Just let them.  There is no way you can "fix" that problem on your
>>> side.
>>
>> Don't be silly.  Gmail has over a billion users and hosts mail for
>> vast numbers of businesses large and small.
>>
>> I agree that they are stricter than many others at mail authentication
>> but considering how big they are, they do a very good job of doing what
>> the standards say.  Way better than Y**o* ot M*****o**.
>>

> Accepting mail for delivery, and then either silently dropping it, delaying it for days, or putting mail that in no way resembles spam into a spam folder seems a little worse than “doing what the standards say”. If you’re going to decide, on little or no evidence, that a message is spam or otherwise does not deserve to get delivered, the least you could do is to bounce it so that the sender is aware. No need to generate a bounce mail that could turn into backscatter; just reject the mail during the SMTP exchange.

NO FREAKING KIDDING.

I’m running into this with clients for whom we do web site work. Mail not being delivered to Gmail accounts. No bounceback, not being delayed, not marked as spam, just black-holed for no discernible reason. Like, clients losing money because sales leads never make it to them.

Extremely frustrating.

-Andy