Enhance CG-NAT Re: V6 still not supported

Abraham Y. Chen aychen at avinta.com
Sun Apr 3 03:13:48 UTC 2022

Hi, Matt:

1)    The challenge that you described can be resolved as one part of
the benefits from the EzIP proposal that I introduced to this mailing
list about one month ago. That discussion has gyrated into this thread
more concerned about IPv6 related topics, instead. If you missed that
introduction, please have a look at the following IETF draft to get a
feel of what could be done:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space

2)   With respect to the specific case you brought up, consider the EzIP
address pool (240/4 netblock with about 256M addresses) as the
replacement to that of CG-NAT (100.64/10 netblock with about 4M
addresses). This much bigger (2^6 times) pool enables every customer
premises to get a static IP address from the 240/4 pool to operate in
simple router mode, instead of requesting for a static port number and
still operates in NAT mode. Within each customer premises, the
conventional three private netblocks may be used to handle the hosts (IoTs).

3)    There is a whitepaper that presents an overview of other
possibilities based on EzIP approach:

https://www.avinta.com/phoenix-1/home/RevampTheInternet.pdf

Hope the above makes sense to you.

Regards,