Gmail (thus Nanog) rejecting ipv6 email

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Sat Apr 2 22:09:55 UTC 2022

I've been seeing a long thread about why ipv6 adoption isn't there yet.
This is half a "paging someone with clue" post and half a "...really,
guys?" Picard-facepalm post.

I just (earlier this week) had to disable ipv6 outbound on one of
$dayjob's MX servers, because Gmail, who hosts nanog.org, was rejecting
our mail due to "our domain's very low reputation".  (In this parlance,
"Very Low" is an actual indicative metric.)  Dayjob is the people who make
BIND and run a root DNS server.  Totally disreputable, I'm sure.

I don't see anything indicating this in our postmaster tools.

I am certain this action is happening completely transparently and
invisibly to NANOG, unless others have complained.  Whatever UI google
gives them to manage their domain will not show this.  There are no logs
they can grep.

I'm told that "gmail's filters for ipv6 are way tighter than ipv4" but
that's from a non-canonical source.  If this is the case, it does very
little to further ipv6 adoption, that's for sure.

I've posted over on mailop, and was given a contact (Brandon), but haven't
heard back.  Gmail's a black box.  I've reached out to a few other people,
but if anyone here can loan a bat-phone, please let me know.

I'm loathe to randomly re-enable ipv6 without contact from someone saying
why this happened, and how it's been fixed.

-Dan
(Who actually operates my own network)