V6 still not supported

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sat Apr 2 20:25:11 UTC 2022

On Fri, Apr 1, 2022 at 6:37 AM Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> If you make the stateful NATs static, that is, each
> private address has a statically configured range of
> public port numbers, it is extremely easy because no
> logging is necessary for police grade audit trail
> opacity.

                                        Masataka Ohta

Hi Masataka,
One quick question.  If every host is granted a range of public port
numbers on the static stateful NAT device, what happens when
two customers need access to the same port number?

Because there's no way in a DNS NS entry to specify a
port number, if I need to run a DNS server behind this
static NAT, I *have* to be given port 53 in my range;
there's no other way to make DNS work.  This means
that if I have two customers that each need to run a
DNS server, I have to put them on separate static
NAT boxes--because they can't both get access to
port 53.

This limits the effectiveness of a stateful static NAT
box to the number of customers that need hard-wired
port numbers to be mapped through; which, depending
on your customer base, could end up being all of them,
at which point you're back to square one, with every
customer needing at least 1 IPv4 address dedicated
to them on the NAT device.

Either that, or you simply tell your customers "so sorry
you didn't get on the Internet soon enough; you're all
second class citizens that can't run your own servers;
if you need to do that, you can go pay Amazon to host
your server needs."

And perhaps that's not as unreasonable as it first sounds;
we may all start running IPv4-IPv6 application gateways
on Amazon, so that IPv6-only networks can still interact
with the IPv4-only internet, and Amazon will be the great
glue that holds it all together.

tl;dr -- "if only we'd thought of putting a port number field
in the NS records in DNS back in 1983..."

Matt