V6 still not supported

Pascal Thubert (pthubert) pthubert at cisco.com
Fri Apr 1 11:22:02 UTC 2022

He he, why do you think YADA starts with yet another?

The devil is in the details I guess. AA makes A twice longer, that's the easy piece. But then, what is the story for the A->AA transition?

The key piece the concept of the shaft, that enables to transit AA between levels while seeing plain IPv4 in each realm. It is as necessary for parallel planes as RFC 1918 is necessary for the private domains. In fact that could be seen as the reverse. The Internet connects multiple private domains using NATs. The shaft connects multiple internets using IP-in-IP. But it has to be the exact same (assigned) IPv4 footprint at every layer.

But for any of that to happen you need at least a IANA assignment and a Linux or two that play ball. We need to think that through before we waste the last IPv4 free land, or assign 240.0.0.0/4

Agreed, the publication for the link below day is incredibly timely. Such is the request to pay for natural resources with a declining currency.

Let us assign the YADA prefix and start experiment 2, baby step 1.

Keep safe;

Pascal