What's a "normal" ratio of web sites to IP addresses...

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 1 00:36:06 UTC 2022

> On Mar 31, 2022, at 16:47 , Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 1, 2022, at 12:15 AM, Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
>> …in a run-of-the-mill web hoster?
>> I’m happy to take private replies and summarize/anonymize back to the list, if people prefer.
>
> I asked the same question on Twitter, and got quite a lot of answers in both places pretty quickly.  Thus far, 23 answers, with an average of about 490,000 and a median of 1,500.
>
> Obviously there are a lot of different factors that go into this, but the two that were cited most frequently were that user who want their own individual IP drive the number down, while large load-balancing/caching infrastructures drive the number up.
>
> Thank you all very much.  I appreciate the education, and I hope it’s useful to others as well!
>
>                                -Bill

I would think that the 490,000 is more likely to reflect “web servers” per address vs. “web sites” per address.

I think that your mention of load-balancing and caching somewhat prove (or at least support) my speculation here.

I suspect that when you talk about “web sites” instead of “web servers”, the number probably falls somewhere in the sub-1k range.

For clarity, “https://www.amazon.com/[ <http://www.amazon.com/%5B>…]” is a web site. It is almost certainly served by many many servers.

Prior to SNI, it was mostly 1 web server per address. In 2018, major CDNs were just starting to consider
ending support for non-SNI clients.

Owen