IPv6 woes - RFC

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Sep 29 20:49:50 UTC 2021

On 9/29/21 1:09 PM, Victor Kuarsingh wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 3:22 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com
> <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>

>>     On Sep 29, 2021, at 09:25, Victor Kuarsingh <victor at jvknet.com
>>     <mailto:victor at jvknet.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:55 AM Owen DeLong via NANOG
>>     <nanog at nanog.org <mailto:nanog at nanog.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         Use SLAAC, allocate prefixes from both providers. If you are
>>         using multiple routers, set the priority of the preferred
>>         router to high in the RAs. If you’re using one router, set
>>         the preferred prefix as desired in the RAs.
>>
>>         Owen
>>

>>     I agree this works, but I assume that we would not consider this
>>     a consumer level solution (requires an administrator to make it
>>     work).  It also assumes the local network policy allows for
>>     auto-addressing vs. requirement for DHCP.
>
>     It shouldn’t require an administrator if there’s just one router.
>     If there are two routers, I’d say we’re beyond the average consumer.
>

> In the consumer world (Where a consumer has no idea who we are, what
> IP is and the Internet is a wireless thing they attach to).
>
> I am only considering one router (consumer level stuff). Here is my
> example:
> - Mr/Ms/Ze. Smith is a consumer (lawyer) wants to work from home and
> buy a local cable service and/or DSL service, and/or xPON service

Isn't the easier (and cheaper) thing to do here is just use a VPN to get
behind the corpro firewall? Or as is probably happening more and more
there is no corpro network at all since everything is outsourced on the
net for smaller companies like your law firm.

The use cases that stuck in my mind for the justification for the need
for routing was for things like Zigbee and other low power networks
where you want them isolated from the chatter of the local lan. Not
saying that I agree with the justification, but that was it iirc.

Mike