uPRF strict more

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Sep 29 14:21:26 UTC 2021

As an eyeball network operator (Cable, DSL, Fiber) we use uRPF strict
mode on customer facing ports on the BRAS gear. Our access gear also
tends to include source address verification via DHCP snooping (as well
as limits on the number of DHCP leases and/or MAC addresses each
customer is allowed) so there are a couple layers of protection.

I do not use uRPF on upstream/transit/IX links or with multi-homed
customers - or anywhere else where traffic could be asymmetrical; I
prefer to use stateless ACLs at these locations.