Identifying submarine links via traceroute

Dave Cohen craetdave at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:14:27 UTC 2021

As Mark says YMMV as different providers will have markedly different
conventions, however one additional challenge that will be widespread is
that most carriers are not placing their L2/3 hardware in the cable landing
stations, preferring instead to extend from the CLS to more centralized POP
locations via Layer 1. So what you will see between a city pair like
Tokyo-Seattle, which very obviously will require some wet capacity, will
actually be some combination of wet and terrestrial. Between the
terrestrial extensions and L2/3 overhead it would be difficult to determine
exactly what the underlying cable(s) are even if you had a good idea of
what the CLS to CLS latency was.

At a previous $dayjob, for example, we had both 100% terrestrial and
partially wet links in use to connect our core POPs in Seattle and
Vancouver directly. While at the Layer 1 level, the wet link had about a
20% longer optical distance, the distance was short enough that a trace
would generally return 3 or 4 ms between core nodes pretty much
irrespective of the situation (and the trunks terminated into the same
routers in the core anyway, which is a whole other story), so it would have
been impossible to tell which path was used even though I knew exactly what
the backbone architecture looked like.

Again, YMMV as different providers will have different standards and
different city pairs will be easier to determine than others, but there is
no "use this one weird trick" rule here.

--
- Dave Cohen
craetdave at gmail.com
@dCoSays