Identifying submarine links via traceroute

PAUL R BARFORD pb at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 29 02:23:40 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am a researcher at the University of Wisconsin.  My colleagues at Northwestern University and I are studying submarine cable infrastructure.

Our interest is in identifying submarine links in traceroute measurements.  Specifically, for a given end-to-end traceroute measurement, we would like to be able to identify when two hops are separated by a submarine cable.  Our initial focus has been on inter-hop latency, which can expose long links.  The challenge is that terrestrial long-haul links may have the same or longer link latencies as short submarine links. So, we're interested in whether there may be other features (e.g., persistent congestion, naming conventions in router interfaces, peering details, etc.) or techniques that would indicate submarine links.

Any thoughts or insights you might have would be greatly appreciated - off-list responses are welcome.

Thank you.

Regards, PB

Paul Barford
University of Wisconsin - Madison