IPv6 woes - RFC

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Sep 29 06:09:05 UTC 2021

On Tue, 28 Sept 2021 at 22:05, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>     https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007%2F978-3-030-72582-2_22.pdf
>
> the ietf did not give guidance to cpe vendors to protect toys inside
> your LAN

Luckily Amazon, Google, Apple, et.al. want to sell us products, and
they noticed lack of standardisation in home automation limits the
total size of the market. So we're getting a nice network protocol;
thread and nice application protocol; matter to enable vendors to sell
more products to us. As a side effect, we also increase security quite
a bit, due to the thread network not having public addresses and will
communicate only to the gateway.
Many of us already have thread gateway at home, via homepod mini or
google nest and increasingly so will get one.

Amazing what commercially motivated standards can do in a short time,
when not ran through IETF.

--
  ++ytti