Powerline Broadband Usecases

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Sep 27 20:35:35 UTC 2021

Hi Noah,

Take a look at http://www.6power.org/, lots of info.

I was the main designer of this project and technical manager.

It included a masive deployment pilot with ENDESA (several thousands of customers), one of the main electricity providers in Spain. Then commercial service was offered for a few years.

We demonstrated that the complains of radio amateurs about interferences were unfounded and provided IPv6, QoS, VoIP, triple play, etc., etc.

There were many other commercial deployments as a result of this project. The problem was that in the next years the demand for more bw was easier and cheaper to achieve with FTTH and DOCSIS.

However all the development was used for offering PLC in-home, and to allow the electricity meters to be controlled via the power line, which in my opinion is a good project success.

It may be still interesting in some remote areas if you can bring fiber to the nearest medium to low voltage transformer.

The company that designed the chip set (DS2, a Spanish company), was acquired by Marvell (https://www.marvell.com/company/newsroom/marvell-acquires-ds2-technology.html). I’m sure that they have many products (semiconductors) as a result of what we did in the project, but I don’t know the status, which are used in in-home PLC for sure. However, I’m not sure if there are many device providers using them for PLC services, CPEs, etc.

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet