Rack rails on network equipment

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 19:38:15 UTC 2021

On 9/25/21 7:52 PM, Joe Greco wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 04:23:38PM -0700, Jay Hennigan wrote:
>> On 9/25/21 16:14, George Herbert wrote:
>>> (Crying, thinking about racks and racks and racks of AT&T 56k modems
>>> strapped to shelves above PM-2E-30s???)
>>
>> And all of their wall-warts [...]
>
> You were doing it wrong, then.  :-)

Oh, you young rascals!  Started with Racal-Vadic triple modems
connected to custom multiport serial gear (still have the wirewrap tool),
upgraded to Telebit NetBlazers, then Livingston PortMasters.

Built and rebuilt many Points Of Presence (POPs) back in the day.  Two
days per rack wasn't unusual, labeling all those wires.

The real problem with racks is/was the changes in holes.  My personal
preference now is all square holes, because you can always replace the
plugs after the threads have stripped.  Stripped threads were at one
time the bane of my existence.

Anyway, wasn't the Open Compute Project supposed to fix all this?
Why not just require OCP in all RFPs?

Also, hot aisle cold aisle should have been replaced by now with
rack top hats.  Seem to remember a Colorado study that showed 15%
power reduction by moving the air return over a suspended ceiling.