100GbE beyond 40km

Lady Benjamin Cannon lb at 6by7.net
Sun Sep 26 04:14:22 UTC 2021

My guess is that he was talking about the difference between a 100gbit/sec stream of ethernet frames with no error correction, and a 112gbit/sec (or so, depending on scheme) stream of transport with FEC (Forward Error Correction - which is essentially just cramming extra bits in there incase they are needed.

Ethernet has to re-transmit instead, and that can cause performance degradation and jitter, until it just quits working altogether.   Systems implementing FEC are much

(This is a guess, there’s a chance something else was meant by this)

-LB.