Rack rails on network equipment

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 20:55:59 UTC 2021

The "niceness" of equipment does factor in but it might be invisible. For
example if you like junipers cli environment, you will look at their stuff
first even if you do not have it explicitly in your requirement list.

Better rack rails will make slightly more people prefer your gear, although
it might be hard to measure exactly how much. Which is probably the
problem.

Our problem with racking switches is how vendors deliver NO rack rails and
expect us to have them hanging on just the front posts. I have a lot of
switches on rack shelfs for that reason. Does not look very professional
but neither does rack posts bent out of shape.

My personal itch is how new equipment seems to have even worse boot time
than previous generations. I am currently installing juniper acx710 and
while they are nice, they also make me wait 15 minutes to boot. This is a
tremendous waste of time during installation. I can not leave the site
without verification and typically I also have some tasks to do after boot.

Besides if you have a crash or power interruption, the customers are not
happy to wait additionally 15 minutes to get online again.

Desktop computers used to be ages to boot until Microsoft declared that you
need to be ready in 30 seconds to be certified. And suddenly everything
could boot in 30 seconds or less. There is no good reason to waste techs
time by scanning the SCSI bus in a server that does not even have the
hardware.

Regards

Baldur

lør. 25. sep. 2021 21.49 skrev Andrey Khomyakov <khomyakov.andrey at gmail.com