Rack rails on network equipment

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Fri Sep 24 22:55:06 UTC 2021

Once upon a time, Niels Bakker <niels=nanog at bakker.net> said:
> * cma at cmadams.net (Chris Adams) [Sat 25 Sep 2021, 00:17 CEST]:
> >Which - why do I have to order different part numbers for back to
> >front airflow?  It's just a fan, can't it be made reversible?
> >Seems like that would be cheaper than stocking alternate part
> >numbers.
>
> The fan is inside the power supply right next to the high-voltage
> capacitors. You shouldn't be near that without proper training.

I wasn't talking about opening up the case, although lots of fans are
themselves hot-swappable, so it should be possible to do without opening
anything.  They are just DC motors though, so it seems like a fan could
be built to reverse (although maybe the blade characteristics don't work
as well in the opposite direction).

--
Chris Adams <cma at cmadams.net>