Rack rails on network equipment

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 24 22:51:33 UTC 2021

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 3:36 PM Niels Bakker <niels=nanog at bakker.net> wrote:
> * cma at cmadams.net (Chris Adams) [Sat 25 Sep 2021, 00:17 CEST]:
> >Which - why do I have to order different part numbers for back to
> >front airflow?  It's just a fan, can't it be made reversible?  Seems
> >like that would be cheaper than stocking alternate part numbers.
>
> The fan is inside the power supply right next to the high-voltage
> capacitors. You shouldn't be near that without proper training.

Last rack switch I bought, no fan was integrated into the power
supply. Instead, a blower module elsewhere forced air past the various
components including the power supply. Efficient power supplies (which
you really should be using in 24/7 data centers) don't even generate
all that much heat.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--