Rack rails on network equipment

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Fri Sep 24 20:55:49 UTC 2021

Andrey Khomyakov wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Happy Friday!
>

> Interesting tidbit is that we actually used to manufacture custom
> rails for our Juniper EX4500 switches so the switch can be actually
> inserted from the back of the rack (you know, where most of your
> server ports are...) and not be blocked by the zero-U PDUs and all the
> cabling in the rack. Stock rails didn't work at all for us unless we
> used wider racks, which then, in turn, reduced floor capacity.

Inserting switches into the back of the rack, where its nice and hot,
usually suggests having reverse air flow hardware. Usually not stock.

Also, since its then sucking in hot air (from the midpoint of the cab or
so), it is still hotter than having it up front, or leaving the U open
in front.

On the other hand, most switches are quite fine running much hotter than
servers with their hard drives and overclocked CPU's. Or perhaps thats
why you keep changing them.....

Personally I prefer pre-wiring front-to-back with patch panels in the
back. Works for fiber and copper RJ, not so much all-in-one cables.

Joe