Rack rails on network equipment

Denis Fondras xxnog at ledeuns.net
Fri Sep 24 18:02:24 UTC 2021

> You mention a 25-minute difference between racking a no-tools rail kit and
> one that requires a screwdriver. At any reasonable hourly rate for someone
> to rack and stack that is a very small percentage of the cost of the
> hardware. If a device that takes half an hour to rack is $50 cheaper than
> one that has the same specs and takes five minutes, you're past break-even
> to go with the cheaper one.

I can understand the OP if his job is to provide/resell the switch and rack it
and then someone else (the customer) is operating it ;-)

As my fellow netops said, the switches are installed for a long time in the
racks (5+ years). I accept to trade installation easyness for
performance/feature/stability. When I need to replace it, it is never in a hurry
(and cabling properly takes more time than racking).

So easy installed rails may be a plus but far behind enything else.