Rack rails on network equipment

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Sep 24 16:56:56 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 10:37 AM, Andrey Khomyakov wrote:
> So ultimately my question to you all is how much do you care about the
> speed of racking and unracking equipment and do you tell your suppliers
> that you care? How much does the time it takes to install or replace a
> switch impact you?
>
> I was having a conversation with a vendor and was pushing hard on the
> fact that their switches will end up being actually costlier for me long
> term just because my switch replacement time quadruples at least, thus
> requiring me to staff more remote hands. Am I overthinking this and
> artificially limiting myself by excluding vendors who don't ship with
> toolless rails (which is all of them now except Dell)?

My 2¢ opinion / drive by comment while in the break room to get coffee
and a doughnut is:

Why are you letting -- what I think is -- a relatively small portion of
the time spent interacting with a device influence the choice of the device?

In the grand scheme of things, where will you spend more time
interacting with the device; racking & unracking or administering the
device throughout it's life cycle?  I would focus on the larger portion
of those times.

Sure, automation is getting a lot better.  But I bet that your network
administrators will spend more than an hour interacting with the device
over the multiple years that it's in service.  As such, I'd give the
network administrators more input than the installers racking &
unracking.  If nothing else, break it down proportionally based on time
and / or business expense for wages therefor.

> Thanks for your time in advance!

The coffee is done brewing and I have a doughnut, so I'll take my leave now.

Have a good day ~> weekend.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die