IPv6 woes - RFC

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Fri Sep 24 16:17:42 UTC 2021

On 9/24/21 3:01 AM, borg at uu3.net wrote:
> Oh yeah, it would be very funny if this will really happen (new protocol).
> Im not happy with IPv6, and it seems many others too.

Is your dissatisfaction with the IPv6 protocol itself or is your
dissatisfaction with the deployment / adoption of the IPv6 protocol?

I think that it's a very critical distinction.  Much like DoH as a
protocol vs how some companies have chosen to utilize it.  Similar to
IBM's computers vs what they were used for in the 1940's.

> This is short list how my ideal IPv6 proto looks like:
> - 64bit address space
>    more is not always better
> - loopback 0:0:0:1/48
> - soft LL 0:0:1-ffff:0/32 (Link Local)
> - RFC1918 address space 0:1-ffff:0:0/16
> - keep ARPs, ND wasnt great idea after all?
> - NAT support (because its everywhere these days)
> - IPv6 -> IPv4 interop (oneway)
>    we can put customers on IPv6, while keeping services dualstack
> - correct DHCP support (SLAAC wasnt great idea after all?)
>    I think its already in IPv6, but was an issue at the begining

I'm probably showing my ignorance, but I believe that the IPv6 that we
have today effectively does all of those things.  At least
functionality, perhaps with different values.

> If there are some weird requirements from others, put them into layer up.
> L3 needs to be simple (KISS concept), so its easy to implement and less
> prone to bugs.

How many of the hurtles to IPv6's deployment have been bugs in layer 3?
It seems to me that most of the problems with IPv6 that I'm aware of are
at other layers, significantly higher in, or on top of, the stack.

> And that IPv6 I would love to see and addapt right away :)

I'm of the opinion that IPv6 has worked quite well dual stack from about
2005-2015.  It's only been in the last 5 or so years that I'm starting
to see more problems with IPv6.  And all of the problems that I'm seeing
are companies making business level decisions, way above layer 7, that
negatively impact IPv6.  Reluctance to run an MX on IPv6 for business
level decisions is definitely not a protocol, much less L3, problem.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die