Upcycling devices like DOCSIS 3.0 MODEMs

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Sep 24 13:14:09 UTC 2021

While most cable networks consist primarily of DOCSIS 3.0 devices,
there's an appreciable difference between an older 8 channel capable
modem with 802.11n and a 16-32 channel capable modem with 802.11ac. Most
ISPs I've worked with also like to standardize on a single vendor or a
few models for ease of support. The modems certainly have value and I
agree with Michael that the second hand market (for those that bring
their own modem) might be the most appropriate place. I've also seen
places like Goodwill take computer equipment like cable/dsl modems so
that may be an option for you that keeps them out of a landfill.