IPv6 woes - RFC

borg at uu3.net borg at uu3.net
Fri Sep 24 09:01:31 UTC 2021

Oh yeah, it would be very funny if this will really happen (new protocol).
Im not happy with IPv6, and it seems many others too.

This is short list how my ideal IPv6 proto looks like:
- 64bit address space
  more is not always better
- loopback 0:0:0:1/48
- soft LL 0:0:1-ffff:0/32 (Link Local)
- RFC1918 address space 0:1-ffff:0:0/16
- keep ARPs, ND wasnt great idea after all?
- NAT support (because its everywhere these days)
- IPv6 -> IPv4 interop (oneway)
  we can put customers on IPv6, while keeping services dualstack
- correct DHCP support (SLAAC wasnt great idea after all?)
  I think its already in IPv6, but was an issue at the begining

If there are some weird requirements from others, put them into layer up.
L3 needs to be simple (KISS concept), so its easy to implement and less
prone to bugs.

And that IPv6 I would love to see and addapt right away :)