Fiber Network Equipment Commercial Norms

Shawn L shawnl at up.net
Wed Sep 22 17:44:36 UTC 2021

This one is always a bit tricky.

For example, if you have an apartment building with say 8 apartments, the provider can install a larger MDU in a centralized location and potentially utilized existing internal cabling in the building to get to each apartment that would like service.  It's a fairly quick and easy install.  Though someone (building owner usually) has to provide the power for the MDU.

In the same building, if you cannot install a large MDU somewhere, the provider needs to figure out how to get a fiber to each apartment that wants service.  In most cases it's a pain.  In others, it's not possible or prohibitively expensive.  The customer doesn't want to pay that much for installation, because they only rent an apartment and could move out at any time.  The building owner doesn't want to pay it either.

In most cases, the owner is willing to provide a little power to be able to say "apartments in my building all have fiber Internet".  And potentially charge a little more in the rent.

Shawn