Fiber Network Equipment Commercial Norms

jray06 at gmail.com jray06 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 16:23:25 UTC 2021

A few of the buildings that my firm represents have the local telco's fiber
distribution and/or repeater equipment located on the premises. My
understanding is that when one of these links go down, (we've occasionally
had to interrupt circuit power to do maintenance in a building for one
reason or another), a local engineering tech always comes running to restore
the link. The tech has led our maintenance staff to believe that these
repeaters are an integral part of the local ring, which fits my
understanding.

When a network operator has equipment located at a third party premises,
what is the norm for commercial contractual terms regarding the siting of
that equipment? Any network equipment on site pre-dates my client's
ownership of the buildings, and they have no record of any agreements or
easements governing who is responsible for power, maintenance, liability,
etc.

My client has no philosophical objection to having the equipment on site,
but he's asked why he has had to pay to power and cool this equipment for
almost 20 years when it serves him no benefit (he is not utilizing that
company's services). I figure some of you may be able to give me an insight
as to what is normal and reasonable. Feel free to contact me directly if
this message is not suitable for this distribution list.

Appreciate the insight,

Jeff Ray

O:  (956) 542-3642

C:  (956) 592-2019

JRay06 at gmail.com

This message has been sent as a part of a discussion between Jeff Ray and
the intended recipient identified above. Some topics may be sensitive and
subject to legal privilege, confidentiality, or other non-disclosure
agreement. Should you receive this message by mistake, we would be most
grateful if you informed us that the message has been sent to you. In that
case, we also ask that you delete this message from your mailbox, and do not
forward or speak of it (or its contents) to anyone else. Thank you for your
cooperation and understanding.