IPv6 woes - RFC

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Sep 18 20:25:40 UTC 2021

> As you noted John, its the plethora of software, support systems, tooling,
> and most important in many environments - legacy customer management and
> provisioning systems that can be the limiting factor. ...

Just looking around my office, I have a Cisco SPA112 two-port ATA.  It's
been discontinued but Cisco says they will support it through 2025 and
they shipped a firmware update in 2019.  It works fine on IPv4 behind a
NAT. It has no v6 support at all and never will.  Multiply that by a
zillion and you can see that IPv4 isn't going away any time soon.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",