IPv6 woes - RFC

Eliot Lear lear at ofcourseimright.com
Thu Sep 16 09:46:33 UTC 2021

It's hard to argue that there was no transition plan.  There were in
fact at least three transition plans for the selected approach (dual
stack, 6to4, and tunneling) some of which have been discarded along the
way; while others came to be based on operational experience.  Moreover,
the only way to really know that a transition mechanism is really going
to work is to let it out of the lab.  And ALL of the proposals would
have suffered the very same transition pains, because just as Jeroen has
pointed out, the pain stretched all the way to the application.

I don't think it's reasonable to argue that we should have waited for
some other mythical better proposal to come along.  I don't recall
anyone arguing for that at the time, and there's no reason to believe
that such a mythical proposal would have ever come to be in any
foreseeable time frame.  In fact Erik Fair, Dave Crocker, Tom Kessler
and I argued the very opposite, that we were digging ourselves a hole
with NAT.  Your argument at the time (Interop '95, Vegas) was that the
IETF didn't have the right to dictate address usage to deployments.
True enough, but then people shouldn't hang their woes on the IETF.

As I mentioned earlier, the fundamental issue was that there were no ng
proposals that were in fact substitutable resources for v4, and NAT
was.  From there, economics has ruled, arguments be damned.

Eliot

* I *did* in fact posit an approach in 1992 that would have allowed for
orderly transition such that IPv4 could continue, and that was to define
class E addresses as extension blocks that were in fact name space
prefixes for another IPv4 header.  It wasn't taken seriously, and
perhaps rightly so.  This actually borrowed a page from the PSTN - most
people communicate locally and so you would rarely use those extended
name spaces.  This was before Paul (Tsuchiya) Francis offered PIP, which
had a notion of Landmark Routing that also went nowhere.