IPv6 woes - RFC

Baldur Norddahl baldur.norddahl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 20:39:01 UTC 2021

ons. 15. sep. 2021 19.37 skrev Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>:

> > On Sep 15, 2021, at 09:31 , Masataka Ohta <
> mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> county
> >                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> >> You mean anywhere in the world. Calls to my number reach my cell phone
> no
> >> matter where I go.
> >
> > You are confusing number portability and call forwarding.
> >
> >                                                       Masataka Ohta
>
> Not exactly… He is confusing number portability and roaming.

I am not confusing anything. Nobody said anything about number portability
in the above quote.

Just pointing out that some assumptions about how voice call works is not
true. Nor would it be smart to send traffic to another part of the world
unnecessarily. Local calls stay local even when roaming. Please remember
that signaling and voice is separate in the telco world which is why it
compares poorly with IP. Except for the LISP protocol which does something
similar.

Regards

Baldur